Pin It

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A Man of Few Words

The other day, Lincoln had his 18 month old check up with the doctor and one of the items on the Nipissing checklist is, does he say 20 words? Well I know he talks but I couldn't count 20 right off the bat because I simply didn't spend enough time to listen. So I just said no; I wanted to say, probably his nanny would know, but that would be a totally unacceptable response. So I went home and started to write down as many words as I could so now I have my answer!

The word and the pronounciation
By 16 months
Fish (chinese and english) - signs fish
Please - signs please, pwease
More - signs
Milk (chinese) - nye nye
Momma, Dadda (sooner)

By 17 months, if not sooner
I want it/ that (sounds whiny but that's what it sounds like)
I don't want it/ that
Mommee
Daada
Brother (chinese) - Gogo, geh geh, AJ
Amen - a-men
Bye
Go!

By 18 months
Monster - mon-a Roooooar
Cat (chinese) - maeow
Dog (chinese) or four legged mammal  - woah woah
Duck - queck queck (with hands)
Water (chinese and english) - seu, wata
Give (chinese) - bay
Eye - points to eye, eye (even if you say "I")
Nose (chinese) - ba do
Sister (chinese) - ga tsa
Nanny - Tita
Ball - ball
Book - bo
Socks (chinese) - mut
Up - up
NO
characters - WooDEE, Bu--, Elmoo, Mo-mo (Nemo)
Ready for Inspection Sir - Weady!
Pick me up (chinese) - por
Counting, with hints - Won, Tooo, eeeee, four, ive
Poo
Pee - pee, bee
Hi
Look! - loa
Open (chinese) - oi
Open the door - oi moon, oben doa
Airplane or flying (chinese) - fway

Brand new this week.
Butterfly - budda-fwy!
Singing or humming with the same sound - Brahm's lullaby with nah or hmmm.
Put it back - eee back
He cry
He hit/ bump/ hurt me - eee po
Pasta
Dora
Bear
Monkey - money!
DO (C sound on the piano, 'This is the sound of Do Do Do") - DO DO DO DO!
I/ me (chinese) - ngoa
Spider - spid-O!

21 months
Water - Wa-doo
Milk - mewk
I do this
Singing, time to put the toys AWAY!
Singing, trying to follow along with the Alphabet song

I'm noticing a few new words a day since I started the post. I am also intrigued by the mix of languages. The Chinese words seem easier to say because a one syllable word represents a concept that takes more words to say in English. Like "Give it to me now!" is "bay".

I really shouldn't compare him with his older sister Maggie who was talking clearly in three to five word sentences at this age. I remember it being strange to see a young girl with a baby face, talking. Lincoln on the other hand speaks in long sentences with animated gestures and descriptive words, and if you pretend to understand him he keeps talking and talking, like speaking with someone in a foreign language and just pretending that you understand.

No comments: