Pin It

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Mr Jello Legs

We missed church on Sunday cuz Saturday night was a rough night for all of us. Maggie, AJ and I actually slept in. Lincoln on the other hand was awake at his usualy time of 6:45 but refused to stand or walk on his own, and would prefer to lie on his back or front on the floor anywhere watching us, than be held.

So we had to bring Lincoln to CHEO Sunday evening for an unexplained illness in his lower body/ legs/ bones. First I thought the more pressing issue was his fever, long cough/ cold and sleepiness and refusal to stand/ walk as laziness or just being extra cuddly. Telehealth urged me to bring him in. It was a long wait because he was not in real danger really, in fact he was very happy to just lie down on the couches in the waiting room for hours talkng and laughing, but not exploring and running around touching everything like a normal toddler.

They did some blood tests on him in the night and inserted an IV which I am glad to see that he fought ferociously, with his arms but not so much his legs and body. The bone scan was delayed till 2pm this afternoon because I didn't know he wasn't supposed to have his bottle at 8am. Just waiting results now. They think he may have an infection in the bones or it could quite simply be sore joints from the flu. Regardless Brian and I taken turns with watching him. Just very sad to see Lincoln like that.

I did tell Lincoln that Jesus is watching. Like he really knows or maybe he does.  I do feel bad bringing him to CHEO for that because it's not life threatening but at the time I really didn't know what to do!

After spending nearly 24h in the hospital, they diagnosed him with a transient form of arthritis in the hips, sometimes occuring in children. And on top of that his ear infection, unrelated and treating with antiobiotics. He can stand on one leg holding on to the crib and I can see that he is curling his toes to remove pressure on the weak leg.  He's still whiny and only lying on the floor, even a 4 month old will move and flip faster than him. But atleast I know he's kinda ok.

Diagnosis: Transient synovitis (TS) is the most common cause of acute hip pain in children aged 3-10 years. The disease causes arthralgia and arthritis secondary to a transient inflammation of the synovium of the hip.

As of yesterday, he was halfway back to his naughty self. He started to crawl sluggishly to mess up Maggie and AJ's blocks, and they were shouting daddy daddy help! He's coming to break something!

He was able to climb up on to the kitchen chairs, believe it or not and sit backwards on the chair.  He can do free standing, however if he takes a step forward his one leg crumbles under him and he falls, sometimes a fast fall, sometimes slow.

Lincoln had a followup appointment with the doctor today, but didn't have much to say about his condition. I almost felt like she was thinking, "why did you bring him in, he's getting better already. Come back when there's a real problem" But I guess it was reassuring and she checked his ears to see if the ear infection was going away. She also explained that this is viral, it went deep into the hips and should not reoccur because it is not common.

When we started talking about CHEO (Children's Hospital of Easter Ontario) and being all poked and getting a blood test etc, Lincoln started to show her the boo boos on his hands and arms from the IVs and needles. Can you believe it? I was shocked that he could understand us enough to be involved in the conservation, like wow. The doctor also pointed out that babies are more intelligent than we think.

I would have to add that babies are quite resilient too. Hopefully he'll be back to his normal self in the next few days.

DAY 10
Lincoln is walking again, though slowly and with a slight limp.  Soon though, he'll be running around again I'm sure!

No comments: