Pin It

Friday, January 18, 2013

Veggie Fruit Smoothie

My kids love smoothies, especially the blueberry banana and flaxseed with yoghurt ones their dad makes.  You can basically put anything in there and they'll drink it up just because it's a smoothie. I found a recipe in the Costco magazine called "David H Murdock's Super Juice".

Imagine a smoothie with pineapple juice, spinache, cucumbers, carrots, apples, tomatoes, banana and parsley. Sounds like a fruity vegetable soup!

I happened to have all of these ingredients in my fridge so I decided to make this for the kids afterschool snack the other day. Of course we got distracted with playing outside in the snow and hot chocolate, so I ended up serving it after dinner as a ``treat``. I prepped everything ahead of time in the Ninja so all I needed to do was hit the go button. I`ll just say the kids were full from dinner so no one was interested in trying it out, but I really liked it!

My first reaction was that it tasted like a salad or sushi roll without the sushi. But the color of it, not too flattering; perhaps like a guacomole to be polite.  I had doubled the recipe to have four servings instead of two. Over the course of two days, I think I consumed more vegetables drinking the smoothies than I did all last week. Really really tasty. Perhaps next time I`ll involve the kids in the preps and they`ll actually drink it.

Link: Doctor Oz Vitamin Cocktail
Ingredients
Makes 1 serving

1 cup papaya
1/2 cup kale
1/2 cup spinach
1/2 banana
1/2 green apple
Blend it all in a blender, enjoy!

Link: Doctor Oz Breakfast Green Drink
I saw this today on his show, though it didn`t look that green. He says he makes this on Sunday or Monday and it`s good all week.
Ingredients2 cups spinach
1/2 cucumber
1/4 head of celery
1/2 bunch parsley
1 bunch mint
3 carrots
2 apples
1/4 orange
1/4 lime
1/4 lemon
1/4 pineapple
 Blend it all in the blender, makes 28-30 ounces, or 3-4 servings.

No comments: